This is just one of those recipes that I knew would be perfect and delicious as soon as I read it. Filled with ingredients I cook with every day, it was just what I was looking for! I wanted something to use up some raspberries I had thrown in the freezer last week so they wouldn’t go bad. I was on the search for something new and interesting for breakfast. This is a recipe I used from Driscoll’s without any changes if you can believe it! I have included it below for your convenience. The only difference was that I used frozen raspberries, so instead of mashing them up, I blended them down in the Vitamix. It worked great!
Driscoll’s Healthy Raspberry Oatmeal Bars
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour *I used whole wheat
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats *I used quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (YIKES!!!) *I used 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 large egg whites *I used 2 eggs
- 1 package (6 ounce) Driscoll’s Raspberries *I probably used a little more
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking pan liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- Stir together whole wheat flour, oats, all-purpose flour, flaked coconut, sugar, nutmeg and salt until blended. Stir in coconut oil and eggs until moist dough forms. Reserve ¾ cup of dough. Press remaining dough into pan until evenly spread.
- Mash raspberries in a separate bowl and spread over dough in pan. Crumble remaining dough and sprinkle on top of raspberry layer.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan completely before cutting.
These will be a delicious breakfast treat for the kids tomorrow. I know because I just ate the one in the picture! I thought they were perfect, but if you are used to more sugar than I am, you will probably like using the brown sugar. I think that honey is better and all that is needed, and that is what I would encourage you to use!